my chicken is sneezing but doesnt have a runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissAbraKadabra, Aug 21, 2013.

1. MissAbraKadabra

MissAbraKadabra Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    my red is sneezing i noticed it a few times over the past few day, it started as one or two here and there in the yard, but this morning when i fed them she was sneezing alot she doesn't have a runny nose and seems to be acting fine. my thoughts were she just has something irritating her sinuses, I'm also getting to the end of my food supply so there is a bit more food powder compared to normal I'm wondering if that could just be what is bothering her. any suggestions?

2. chickety china

chickety china Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    I'd like to follow this, as I'm experiencing the same exact thing with one of my BR pullets (19 weeks). I too am at athe end of my feed with more powder; I didn't even consider that. My girl seems fine otherwise, milling around doing normal pullet stuff with her sisters. I noticed the sneeze/cough/squeak sound yesterday. I massaged her crop, which felt empty and mostly fluid. No runny nose or watery eyes and her breathing seems normal. Since it's in the high 90s here I've been running a fan which I switched off yesterday. I am wondering if it's just a dust issue she is reacting to. I have a lot of sand in my run and the girls kick up a lot of dust from it from dust bathing and I was hoping it was just her reacting to all that dust!

3. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    my yard too is mostly dirt, and remains of when it use to me all mulch and is heavy shaded with trees. and its just my grown chicken that is sneezing, my other one seems fine, as well as i haven't noticed anything different with the 4 chickens next door, I'm hoping it a slight irritant that will soon pass once i purchase another bag of feed

4. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

I had the same problem and freaked out and thought something was wrong, but in fact if there are no other signs I would say that they fine. Chickens produce A LOT of dust and just think about how often you sneeze when you are milling around in their coop and outside. Just something is irritating their sinuses and they're getting rid of it. Unless you see other signs I wouldn't worry too much.

5. MissAbraKadabra

Aug 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    when i got home from work yesterday i let my chickens in the front yard to help mow my grass since it only grows in the front yard, and i didnt hear her sneeze once, as well as my aggressive pullet didnt feel the need to attack me when she was in my front yard, i did let her chase me around the yard a few times to tire her out then she was fine she let me hold her, and she perched on my arm and listened when i told them it was time to go in the back yard again and promptly followed there directions and ran back to the back yard for the evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by