My chicken is sneezing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ollie44buckbuck, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ollie44buckbuck

Ollie44buckbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Hi
    My ex-battery hen has been sneezing a lot for the past few days and I'm not really sure what to do, or even whether to do anything at all.
    I would be very grateful for some advice.
    Thanks
    Ollie

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is her face swollen? It sounds like a respiratory disease. I'd get an antibiotic such as Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, LA200, and Terramycin). If those antibiotics don't work, you might be dealing with a viral respiratory disease, or may have to switch to a stronger antibiotic. Tylan is a nice strong antibiotic. The dosage for Tylan50 is 1cc for a large fowl, .5ccs for a bantam, injected into the breast muscle for 5 days. If using Tylan200, the dosage is .5ccs for a large fowl, and .2-.3ccs for a bantam.

What is her bedding like? Dusty bedding may be causing sneezing. Cedar wood shavings might also cause respiratory problems.

Keep us updated!

3. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Thanks for the reply!
    Her bedding is made up of straw and so is dust free.
    I'll try and upload a photo of her.
    She doesn't look swollen but she breathes fairly heavy and there is some discharge coming from her nostrils.

[​IMG]

4. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Does the oxytetracycline have to be injected or can it be put in their water for example?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I believe LA200 is an injectable. However, Tetroxy HCA-280 and Duramycin10 are put in the water. I don't know the dosage for Duramycin, but the dosage for the Tetroxy HCA-280 is 1/8 teaspoon per cup of water, or two teaspoons per gallon.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Thank you very much for your help!

7. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Hi again.
    I'm thinking of getting tylan soluble solution for oral usage. Therefore it dissolves in the chickens water- is there a certain dosage for this do you know or will it just say on the pack if I buy it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by