My chicken is walking funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MzGina, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MzGina

MzGina Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    About a week ago one of my chicks ( born 8/22) started walking as if the ground is on fire. She appears to be walking on her own feet. She uses her wings to "run" but often and most always laying down. She eats and drinks , and I hold her and pet her . But do not know if she has a birth defect We didnt notice when she was very small.... or she injured herself just do not know. My flock lives in a large chicken pen with a roof and alot of room and play things... I let them out a few times a day while I watch them , never out of my sight.. I am concerned.

2. Jessica Thompson

Jessica Thompson Songster

Oct 15, 2017
    Warren
    You should definitely take her to the vets and see what they can do what ever you do DONT let them kill her

3. MzGina

MzGina Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    She appears to healthy for that. I would never kill any of my chicks unless there was no other choice. I am going to keep babying her for now.

Tom Kowalsky likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you start some chick vitamins that have riboflavin included on the label? Poultry Cell is good, but not NutriDrench. Can you possibly post a picture or two of her standing still? Does she hold one leg out to the side or are her legs crossing each other, and how are the toes pointed? Leg bone deformities such as varus or valgus deformity are common in poultry, as well as a slipped tendon.

ginadean likes this.
  5. MzGina

MzGina Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    Here are a few pictures...

Attached Files:

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not an expert, but it does look like a leg bone deformity. Varus valgus deformity, and TD or tibial dyschondronplasia, a twisted leg bone are common ones. There is usually nothing that can be done for those, if that is what the problem is. They can happen from mineral deficieny in the parents, or sometimes incubation problems. Chickens with Mareks can have odd walking, so that might also be a possibility. Her tail looks to be down in one of the pictures. That sometimes indicates a sick chicken. She might have difficulty getting to food and water if not close to them. Let us know how things go with her.

ginadean likes this.
  7. MzGina

MzGina Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    Thank You so very much for the help :) I have put extra waterers around and I have noticed her laying by the food... when I cuddle with her I feed her mealworms or soilderflys... they all LOVE those . If it is that maybe just a handicapped chicken I get to take care of.... I recently became unable to work.. I am a nurse of over 20 years. No one seems to be picking on her.. they all go up to roost but she cant and I have noticed another chick ( same one every night) lays with her so cute. And one the chick in my avitar seems like he is trying to mate with her and I am not even sure if its a he.. I am trying to learn as much as possible to give them the best life I can. When I bought them I ended up with 3 cornish rocks that I gave to a friend they were weighing 9lbs at 55 days OMG. But off track... she doesnt appear to be in pain .

8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    No clue on the issue, but "she" does appear to be male.

Eggcessive likes this.
  9. MzGina

MzGina Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    The brown one OMG thats what my husband said! Do you think the one in my avitar is a male as well?

10. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    Yes.

ginadean likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: