My Chicken is walking oddly and not eating chicken feed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3340Karen, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 3340Karen

3340Karen New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    About a week ago, I brought one of my rhode island red hens in for having a hard crop, and walking oddly.( she can walk, but when she does she picks here feet up and into her crop area then hops) after giving her plenty of water and feeding her canned corn for a week her crop is normal again, but now she's loosing weight and her tail is going down. I had been trying to feed her chicken scratch, but she hardly eats any of it unless its wet. and she still has the walking problem. I've never encountered a problem like this, and I've already lost 5 hens this year to unkown illness, I don't want to loose anymore. Is there a cure for whatever she has? I thought it may be a vitamin defficiency, but I'm not sure what kind. any help would be appreceated. I've already tried looking it up ont he internet, this is my last hope. if you need anymore info I can supply it.
    I'm also sorry for any bad grammer, it's never been my strong point.

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
  3. 3340Karen

3340Karen New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    There isn't really anything for her to barf right now. her crop is almost empty, and what is there is soft and slightly smushy like all the other hens crops, it's not hard anymore. But her poo is greenish. should I still try to force her to barf?
    and I have had about 4 hens get sour crop before, it's never been a problem treating them. and what of the walking problem?

4. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Green poop is one of the signs for round worms, look at her poop closely and see if there are any of them in there? You can also treat her for worms and the rest of the flock too to see if that's the issue here.

5. 3340Karen

3340Karen New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I hadn't thought of that, Its to dark to see her poo now, I'll check in the morning. hopefully its that and not something untreatable.

6. 3340Karen

3340Karen New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    I think that it worked, she seems to be better now, thank you very much for the info on worm. Honestly it didn't even occur to me that they could get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by