1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken is Yawning is this Normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MadMonkeyOne, Sep 27, 2012.

1. MadMonkeyOne

MadMonkeyOne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    Yesterday I saw my chicken yawning is this normal? What worried me was she didn't stop! I rushed out side to see if she was choking but she instantly forgot about it. and later she was running around trying to catch flying insects. Is this a yawn or something else?
    Thx bye

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. Mine do it when they see me. I think it has something to do with ancestral genetics , or does she have something in her throat?

3. Jan77

Jan77 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    I noticed my chickens doing this several months ago. I posted it and several replies said that chickens will do that to rearrange the food in their crops. They still do it now and I don't worry about it anymore. Hope this helps.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    That's exactly right. All birds do that. I think sometimes they do yawn because they're sleepy but that's just my opinion. What I know is that they often yawn to rearrange the crop.

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I see mine yawn, too, but I don't worry about them if they are eating, drinking, not losing weight and acting/looking normal and healthy.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. MadMonkeyOne

MadMonkeyOne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    That's so weird . I had no idea it served that purpose!
    Thx Heaps for the Replys!

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine only "yawn" when they see me. I thought it was kinda like bird chicks in a nest in a tree opening their mouth when mom comes back with a worm. I think it's just a reflex

8. Accidental Farm

Accidental Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    So glad to see this thread! A few of mine were 'yawning' and I was thinking it was an early attempt to learn to crow. I thought I had only three roos, so you can imagine my dismay when three more had joined in on the fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by