My chicken isn't eating, she sleeps all day and keep to herself?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chuckchook, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Chuckchook

Chuckchook New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    Hello!

Can anyone help me?

I have 5 chickens; 2 Rhode Island, 2 Leghorns and 1 Anocona. Recently i've been noticing that the Ancona has been separating herself from the flock and is often seen standing with her eyes closed in the middle of the yard, to the point that when I walked up to her yesterday she had no idea, it was only until i picked her up that she panicked and freaked out - this is my first concern. What if i had been an actual predator? It's been over 12 months since we sadly lost one of chickens to a dog which was an Ancona as well, so i don't think it's anything to do with missing her "friend" (as i've learnt that chickens like to stick with their own breeds). I read in another forum that chickens don't like to show weakness, so i'm concerned that she's trying to hide any illness/disease from the others.
    Her comb is both droopy and pale, and her the breast bone is very pronounced. She is very light in weight, though she's never been a heavy bird. Today she is mingling with the others, though when I gave them some treats (raisins) the Ancona wasnt interested. There is something definitely wrong here.
    Does anyone know what could be wrong with her and offer any advice? I am very worried [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Have you considered coccidiosis? She should be immune to it by her age unless a new bird was added or a new strain was tracked in on shoes. Corid (amprollium) is treatment for that. Chickens can look sickly from all sorts of reasons. Check her crop in early morning to make sure it is emptying, and not impacted or sour. Look her at her skin and feathers feathers for lice and mites. Treat with Sevin dust if any are found. Worm her with SafeGuard or Valbazen if she hasn't been wormed recently. Egg yolk peritonitis is another cause for some of her symptoms.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like it may be worms (or other things).

Thin hen, pale comb (anemic- although if they are molting the comb can turn pale, too), lethargy.

Any diarrhea (watery)?

Could of course be another illness though. If she were my hen I'd worm her - but worming medicine can kill a weak hen so if you do it proceed with caution- you can also take a fecal sample to a vet for a fecal float to check for worms. Also you can check for cocci that way. Could be coccidiosis also, or just coccidiosis. Cocci can occur in an older hen if immunocompromised or exposed to new soil.

You could as a safer course, treat for coccidiosis first, and you would probably see improvement within 24 hours if that was the problem. Then if no improvement deworm. That is what I would do.

Also check for mites in the coop or dust the coop and birds, repeat in 7 days for mites and 7/14 days for lice. Remember that wormers have to be repeated to break the life cycle of the worms also.

Just my opinion!

4. Chuckchook

Chuckchook New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    Thank you Eggcessive & ChickensAreSweet!! I will do some research on Coccidoisi, as this is the first time I've heard of this (i'm reasonably new to this game). I will certainly give your recommendations a go. That you both so much :)

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You are welcome!

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/coccidia.pdf

clemson document on coccidiosis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by