My chicken isnt laying in her nest....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LundiStolp, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LundiStolp

LundiStolp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    I found an egg by a tree in my backyard under an old Christmas tree(we kept it to burn it). It is a green egg but my Wyandotte was with it. I also have an easter egger. So i assume its hers but why isnt she laying in her nest???
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's tired of you taking her eggs and is trying to find a spot where she can build a clutch and perhaps go broody. Despite rumors to the contrary if she goes broody it is NOT my fault. [​IMG]

3. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I have a few birds that do the same. They hide their eggs every now in then in the run. I agree with sourland, I think she is geting tired of me taking them.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might want to confine them to the coop for a few days.......re-establish the habit of laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by