My chicken isnt laying in her nest....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LundiStolp, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LundiStolp

LundiStolp In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    I found an egg by a tree in my backyard under an old Christmas tree(we kept it to burn it). It is a green egg but my Wyandotte was with it. I also have an easter egger. So i assume its hers but why isnt she laying in her nest???
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She's tired of you taking her eggs and is trying to find a spot where she can build a clutch and perhaps go broody. Despite rumors to the contrary if she goes broody it is NOT my fault. [​IMG]

3. ktn65

ktn65 In the Brooder

I have a few birds that do the same. They hide their eggs every now in then in the run. I agree with sourland, I think she is geting tired of me taking them.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might want to confine them to the coop for a few days.......re-establish the habit of laying in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 2-3 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: