1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicken isnt laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cknmom2, Mar 28, 2009.

1. cknmom2

cknmom2 New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I have an ameracana chicken. She has never laid an egg. She is 13 months old. Can anybody tell me why?
    The ones i got with her are laying 1 egg per day:confused:

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Is she crowing? Seriously, I have never had a hen that did not lay. Are you sure of her age?

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi cknmom2 - I have no idea why your hen isn't laying. I have not encountered that. It's especially odd because you have others the same age, all on the same diet, that ARE laying. Maybe this will help bring attention to your post and others with similar experiences can weigh in.

Oh, and [​IMG] !!

Penny

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she 13 months or 13 weeks? And where did you get her? How long have you had her? Sorry for all the questions but if you got her from an auction or some where else they may have said she is this age but not told you the truth. Or she could be so old that she does not lay anymore. If you have only had her for a short amount of time she may just be getting used to her surroundings. Or could she be hiding them? Do they free range. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this.........literally! [​IMG]

5. cknmom2

cknmom2 New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    she is 13 MONTHS old. I got her from a hatchery, and all the chicks were the same age etc. I have had her from day old chick.. She defintly isnt a rooster and doesnt crow. I dont have a rooster. She cant hide them because she is in a coop. They all eat the same food etc.
    Mistery? Help!!!

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    hmmm. thats wierd! well you never know, she could hide them. when cleaning out my duck's house, we uncovered a couple eggs in a hidden nest underneath some hay. i was wondering why some eggs were missing from our overall egg count!! sneaky little ducky. i would check multiple places for her eggs. maybe she has something medically wrong with her, like some women can't have babies, maybe she can't lay eggs. i have no idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by