My chicken isn't well. Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newturkeygirl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. newturkeygirl

newturkeygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Hello everyone. I have a chicken and she was given to me by a neighbor who couldn't keep her anymore. It was her and a turkey (the turkey developed gout and died) and now chicken is alone in my 1/2 acre backyard. She has been doing just fine till today. She has been just sitting under a bush not really moving today (very unlike her, she is always up and pecking and scratching at the ground) she lets me touch her, always has, and I don't feel any bumps, scrapes, or outer problems, but I noticed she is walking a little funny (now legged or kind of pigeon toed a little) and her legs are shaky. I keep her food bowel full with corn mostly, some Layena poultry pellets, and a little bit of Purina flock raiser although she would rather free range eating grass (which I have plenty of) and pecking at bugs, so she doesn't touch her food that often. Fresh water everyday and an occasional carrot, berry, celery, and green bean snack. She's been laying one egg a day around 2:30 pm consistantly. Anyone got any ideas of why she is so non mobile now and just wants to lay down?

2. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    *bow *bowl

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It could be so many things but here is where I'd start: Pick her up and check her over very carefully. Any noticeable weight loss? The bow legged, pigeon toed appearance is concerning. Feel her lower abdomen, the area between her legs on back. See if she feels bloated or swollen at all in that area? That can cause the bow legged walk. If she does seem swollen it is an indication of ascites which has a few different major causes, none of them good. Has she laid an egg yesterday and/or today? Check her carefully for lice/mites. Has she ever been dewormed? What are her droppings like?

As for what she's eating...I would ditch the extra corn and just let her eat the layer feed in addition to her foraging and the occasional treat you give her.

Post any additional info you can, there are many here who will help you try to figure her out.

4. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Thank you for the advice. I went and checked her again. No bloating in her belly or between her legs and nothing abnormal about her skin, but her crop (at her neck) feels so full like it's going to burst. She lets me touch it and maybe it's suppose to feel that full, but it's the only thing abnormal. Her legs feel a little warm to the touch which may be an indicator of fever (learned that from the vet with my turkey). She laid yesterday, but not today yet.

5. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Oh her droppings are normal and I'm not sure she's ever been wormed

6. cafarmgirl

Check her crop first thing in the morning and see if it emptied like it should over night.

7. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Okay I will. Is it normal for them to experience that?

8. cafarmgirl

The crop should empty overnight, if it is full first thing in the morning before she's eaten anything, no, that is not normal. That would indicate impacted crop.

9. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    Okay I'll check in the morning and see.

10. newturkeygirl

Jan 7, 2014
    New Braunfels Texas
    I checked again this morning and it has not gone down. She is now acting fine, walking the yard scratching and pecking. She even laid yesterday. I think I'll take her to the vet to see if he can help. If it is impacted crop it needs to be relieved before it turns into sour crop. I did turn her upside down and she threw up just a little but it was liquidy looking and not much came out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by