1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken just died.... any cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cflaxy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. cflaxy

cflaxy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    My 5 month old white leghorn just died in my arms:( R.I.P. Ethel... anywho, I noticed yesterday that her comb was becoming floppy and falling over and becoming dark tinged on the edges. She was not in her usual nest box either. Today i came home to check on them, and she was laying on the ground in the corner of the coop with her face on the ground. I picked her up and carried her inside. Her pupils were going crazy and then she kind of started to convulse, became rigid and died. No other signs of illness or distress. However, I have been finding shell less eggs in the coop for several days now. I thought it was my black sexlink who was laying them because she has not yet started to lay and i know it can be common in new layers. Any ideas??? Thanks.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry.. I lost a five month old d'uccle to unknown reasons as well.. The only way to tell for sure is to do a necropsy on her [​IMG] Maybe she was egg bound?

3. cflaxy

Sep 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I forgot to say... My main concern is my other 6. They all look fine and seem very healthy. Do you think it could have been the egg laying process gone bad and caused some kind of internal problems??

4. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to guide you here.

5. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    No, I don't know the cause. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] RIP Ethel. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. aoxa

Quote:All my other hens were fine. I really don't know what was wrong with mine.. She looked off for a very long time. Within 24 hours she was just gone. It's so sad..

I hope someone can help you with ideas. It could be so many things. I'm hoping whatever it was, was not something the others could catch. But be warned, every time a hen is even a 'tad' off, you will be panicking. That's how I am now.. I cleaned my entire coop after Nacho passed, even though she passed away from the coop. It's been nearly a month and none of the others seem affected. Though Carl (our polish hen...ster *could be boy, not really sure*) is missing her. They were best buds.

[​IMG]

I wish you all the luck in the world..

7. cflaxy

Sep 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:Well i got an egg from her on the 17th but not sure if she laid one yesterday so i don't think that was the case. she normally would go for a day without laying an egg every few days or so.....

8. aoxa

Quote:Well i got an egg from her on the 17th but not sure if she laid one yesterday so i don't think that was the case. she normally would go for a day without laying an egg every few days or so.....

Hmm... What about worms?

9. cflaxy

Sep 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    How would i know if she had worms? Never encountered that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by