My chicken just died :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roxyanddutches, Mar 5, 2014.

1. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Today my chicken died. I have had her for about 4 months. I only have two chickens so this is devesttating. I went to feed and give them water this morning and jane was lying dead. What could have caused this? Is my other chicken in danger? Please help!!!!

2. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Sorry for your loss but I think we need more information. Any sign of predators? where's the coop and what's its defense?

3. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my coop I know it is small but only for 2 chickens and is in a neighborhood. I found jane on the top section with no visible injuries. At first I didn't know what was wrong with her so I picked her up and she was hard as a rock. They have been eating and drinking normally. This weekend she was acting a little strange. She was lying on her side with her wing in a strange positron. That is the same position that I found her this morning. Right now dutches, my other bird is puffing up her feathers and shaking her head. Please help I love my birds and would hate to see another one pass.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How old are these birds? What are they being fed? Any sneezing, coughing or other odd breathing sounds?

5. roxyanddutches

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    The one that died was 6 months and the younger one 5. Neither have started laying but I have them on layer. And no on the breathing sounds. I think they may have been posited by our pool workers. My pool is being resurfaced and the workers were dumping stuff very close to my chickens I told them to stop but I am afraid that when they were free ranging they may have ingested that. If that is the case for my younger bird as well what can I do to help her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by