My Chicken Just Laid an Egg Without a Shell!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenHugs, Jul 7, 2016.

1. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I heard some loud squawking this morning I ran down and checked on the chickens.

I have 3 chickens at the moment. My Brahma, my Ameracauna and my Speckled Sussex.

We have been having some trouble with coyotes recently and my chickens squawk every time they see one.

Anyways my Brahma started squawking and the other chickens were laying eggs.
    When I got there I found a blue egg on the ground sitting underneath the roost instead of inside the nesting boxes.I opened up the nesting boxes to see them both
    pecking at an egg yolk and a thin floppy layer that surrounds the inside of the egg.

I have no idea what had happened!

But my assumption was that while they were laying eggs they heard that call of danger and my Ameracauna had run out of the nesting box and quickly laid an egg.

But why would the Speckled Sussex lay an egg without a shell? Does she have a disease?

Please Help!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Are your hens young? It is not unusual for hens to lay an occasional egg without a shell, usually young pullets.

What food are you providing, and do you supply both granite and calcium (oyster shell) grit?

3. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    My hens are just over 2 years old and she is a very good layer. We feed them a whole lot of compost and food scraps and my Speckled Sussex really seems to like drinking soup which I find rather cute!
    Should I try adding apple cider vinegar to their water?

Thanks so much for replying too!

4. HenHugs

HenHugs Just Hatched

Jul 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add this too but after laying that egg without a shell she went back a half hour later and laid another egg with a shell!

5. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    It might have been just a malformed egg. They are pretty common in younger birds bit now and then you'll get one from an adult bird
    -Liv

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes, it could be just a glitch in her laying mechanism. Do they have grit available? How about layer feed? The foods you listed are likely to be low in calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by