My chicken keeps extending her neck and opening her beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reganpen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Reganpen

Reganpen New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Hi guys,
    My silver laced Wyandotte keeps opening her beak and extending her neck, she seems lethargic but is eating a little and still drinking..

She was wormed 3 months ago but my research keeps pointing to gape worm but I am not entirely sure... I have thrown caution to the wind and am trying the apple cider vinegar in water. I have three other girls but they all seem fine...

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It may be gapeworm, but a respiratory disease or an impacted crop might also be the problem. Do you have any fenbendazole (SafeGuard)? You could go ahead and worm with that with 50 mg for every 2.2 lbs of weight. Then repeat that for a total of 3 days, and again 10 days later. Check her crop to see if it is full and hard or squishy--checking it first thing in the morning when it should be empty is the best time. Does she have any gurgling, wheezes, sneezing, nasal drainage , eye bubbles, or facial swelling? Here is a link for crop problems: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by