My chicken laid a blood clot

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Balfour Girl, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    Sorry to bring up this gross topic, but my chicken hasn't laid since before Christmas, and the last few days it looks like she's starting again, although the eggs are soft and broken and sometimes she walks around with them hanging out. This morning I found a Big blood clot in her nesting box. Any idea what's going on?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Did you happen to get a pic of this "clot" ??

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If she's laying soft and shell less eggs she's probably lacking something in her diet. Most likely calcium. What are you feeding her?

4. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    No, I didn't get a pic... it was flat, the color of raspberry jam (without the seeds) and about the size of an egg yolk. I'm feeding her wheat, oyster shell and high protein laying mash as staples, with treats every day. Recently they've consisted of bread, spinach or lettuce, turkey meat and black oiled sunflower seeds. She seems very healthy and has a good appetite.

5. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I once cracked open a free range egg I bought from my co-op and found the yolk was pink from blood. Not just a speck, but the whole yolk, or at least the surface of it. I didn't check to see if the inside was bloody as well.
    My guess is something happened between the forming of the yolk and the time the white was added.
    Since it wasn't one of my hens eggs I can't help you out on what may be wrong with yours.
    I hope someone can give you some answers. I have never heard anyone post about this before. Let us know how your hen is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by