1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken laid a very tiny egg today??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Neff, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Neff

Neff New Egg

Nov 20, 2016
    I have four chickens (a buff orpington, a blue ameraucana, a barred rock, and a cinnamon queen - no roosters) and today when I went out to collect the eggs there was only one and it was very tiny. We live in Texas and it went down to freezing last night, but we covered the coop very well, and made sure they had plenty of food and water.
    We got them in April of 2016, and they've been laying for around 4 months. I've never seen any of their eggs this small (a little larger than the top notch of one's thumb) even when they first started laying. It looked a bit like the orpington's eggs in color, but I could be wrong.
    Any ideas what could be up?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The tiny egg is called a lash egg or fairy egg. If you crack it open, it won't contain a yolk. This happens with some layers from time to time, but is more common with older layers that may be winding down their careers.

It's normal, nothing to be concerned about.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Fairy egg or fart egg. Lash egg is something else.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Fairy and fart eggs can also contain a yolk. As long as you are not seeing them frequently from the same hen, they are not a cause for concern.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. Cosmic

Cosmic Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2016
    Maine
    One of my ladies laid a fairy egg two months ago. It contained a yolk and a very thick, gelatinous white.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sorry. I stand corrected. Momentary slippage of aging brain cells. It happens from time to time.

A lash egg more often than not bears no resemblance to a real egg. It's substance is fatty or pus. They're harmless. But this isn't a case of lash eggs.

Very small fairy eggs won't have a yolk, though. I save them for decoration. Have a pretty considerable collection.

2 people like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!

Did you take pic of it?
    Did you open it up to see what's inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by