1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken laid an deformed egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barney, Jul 8, 2008.

1. barney

barney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Buckley, Washington
    Ok everyone....this is new to me. One of the girls laid an egg.
    This was not a hard shell....VERY thick and rubbery. It also had a large rubbery bump on it. I cut it opened. Shell was the consistency of a rubber band. The large part of the egg shell had a normal looking egg inside. The smaller part had yoke in it with hard little slivers of ..I guess calcium in it. Maybe a twin??

I took 2 photos. One with the whole egg and one that I cut with a knife to open. I will try to post the 2 photos later. I have to figure how to do that. I 'm concerned that one of the girls are sick?

Has anyone ever heard of this before and is it something that will take care of itself? Or not? Is she sick? The egg was brown shelled, but some of my girls lay brown eggs.
    Thanks in advance Chris AKA Barney [​IMG]

2. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Since the shell of the egg is the last thing that forms, it may be possible that her ovary released two yolks close together other and they moved down the oviduct together. That second egg might have a thin, wrinkly shell and if it bumps into the first egg, their shells can kinda mend together making a funky looking egg.

Also, I have heard that if a chicken was handled roughly, that could cause the shell to be wrinkly. Old chickens can lay deformed eggs, too.

3. barney

barney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2008
    Buckley, Washington
    Lammie!
    Thank you Thank you!! [​IMG] All our girls so far were given to us.
    We were told they were anywhere from 1-almost 3 years old. Great egg layers too. My brown egg girls lay double yokes about once a week. Do you think this might have been a double yoker gone bad?

You have eased my mind and I appericate your quick reply.
    Chris AKA Barney.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by