My chicken laid an egg with a weird design (yes design!) on the shell - why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wendyb, Sep 24, 2012.

1. wendyb

wendyb New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    I have three sex linked (Golden Buff) hens that started laying eggs in August. One routinely lays larger eggs than the other two that sometimes have two yolks
    [​IMG]

and today she laid this egg with a sun design on the shell. It is actually ridged and a perfect sun the way my daughter draws suns on her pictures. Does anyone know what caused this?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Looks like you have an artistic girl in your bunch [​IMG]. Other than that I got nothing. Never heard of it before.

3. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    This summer with the blistering heat I had a hen laying eggs with almost a crackle finish on them- not hairline cracks, just a design, and they were extra thick shells. Several people suggested it was due to the heat, and possibly a calcium deficiency as well.

4. Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    nice manicure

5. wendyb

wendyb New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Haha. The nails do look pretty good in the pic, but I am more interested in how this happened. I am new to chicken keeping and we're so in love with our sweet girls. Some of their eggs have had little calcium deposit bumps on their shells, but I can find no information on what would cause this. I'm just wanting to make sure she's okay. I've read some posts talking about mineral deficiencies causing problems with egg laying and I want to make sure I'm doing the best for them.

6. wendyb

wendyb New Egg

Sep 24, 2012

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. albie1834

albie1834 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    is it jesus

8. Snowypinesridge

Snowypinesridge Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Newport, WA
    My Coop
    Generally this occurs when the birds are not drinking enough water. It is though a cool design!

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

MsB, are you stalking me?

I read some where that it is mineral, illness, or water that can cause rippled... But the sun? Well, aside from that, how is the shells thickens? I personally would blow it out and keep it!

10. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    OMG I got one very similar to that from one of my Welsummers! I'll post a pic tomorrow :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by