My chicken left me a surprise

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PorkyPete, Jul 11, 2011.

1. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    My eldest (8 months) girl had been sitting on the highest perch on and off all day. I had a bad feeling she wanted to lay from there so I kept picking her up and moving her into the nest box instead. She wouldn't have a bar of it though and would leave the coop to hang with the flock, Then next time I came back outside she would be up there again. I just can't win [​IMG] When I went out just before with a yummy treat for lunch I went to get her off the perch again, Glanced at the ground and noticed this

[​IMG]

Her first ever egg! [​IMG] I think its a pretty brilliant job for a first egg, No damage at all despite falling from a height. I must be doing something right for her to be able to lay such a strong egg first pop.

Now, How do I get her to lay in the nesting box?? I might have to put something more appealing together. We're meant to have external nest boxes by now but the person who was building them has decided to take his time with them [​IMG] I don't want her laying off the roost again

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Congratz! [​IMG] We put fake eggs in our nest boxes so they know where to lay.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congrats! What kind is she?

4. PorkyPete

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    I have golf balls in mine but she still doesn't get the idea [​IMG] I think they like to make things difficult [​IMG]

5. PorkyPete

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Shes an Orpington [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Your first egg! How exciting!

7. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011