My chicken Lilly died today !

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mac84, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Mac84

Mac84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Studio City, CA
    2 weeks ago I found a dog that I am now fostering until I find a new home for her since her owners never claimed her.
    Some how she managed to get into the run today and killed Lilly, my sweet adventurous buff orpington chicken :(
    I have that image stuck in my head. Rooki, one of my other chickens came to my bedroom window and started making noises, like trying to get my attention. I had no idea how she had got out and I pannicked because I knew the new dog was outside. My worst fears came true, Lucy had a paw on Lilly's back while she was pulling her feathers off of Lilly's body with her mouth. I rushed to the dog, got her off of her back and grabbed Lilly who was struggling to breath.
    She died in my arms 10 minutes later, she had horrible wounds in her back.
    My other 3 girls were in the backyard, with my dog Colbie, who seemed to be watching over them. I checked them all and they seemed fine.
    I feel really bad, i blame myself for what has happened today. Saving a dog from the streets has made one of my girls die.
    Yesterday I was talking to my husband about our girls, how happy I was we had 4, that having chickens was probably one of the best decisions we ever made, that 4 was a good number and that how happy we were for the huge amount of eggs we were having, more than what we were expecting, and that it was a good number also because Rooki had gone broody in September and even thou we took her out of it in a week, we haven't seen an egg since Sep 19th and it was good to still have other 3 chickens producing.
    I love my girls so much, they are our first chickens and we never imagined how sweet and cute chickens were. We look at chickens in a very different way now. We love having our girls free roaming in the side of the house, but since we got the dog we were extra careful and they were in their run. I always said Lilly was Colbie Bear's chicken. Colbie Bear is my Golden Retriever who adores Lilly and loves to play with her. We called Lilly the dog Whisperer because she was able to put Colbie in his place at all times. She wasn't afraid of anything and I think this is exactly why she is dead now. She probably told the other chickens "don't worry, I'll take care of this" and confronted the dog like a rooster would do. But this wasn't Colbie, she wasn't playing. She saved the other 3, and If not for Rooki probably the other girls would be dead too and also thanks to her I could let Lilly know one more time how much she was loved and how much Colbie Bear would miss her.
    I know nothing can replace Lilly, but I really, really need another chicken. I can't go out in the backyard and see only 3 of my girls and remember why. Every time I close my eyes I see that image, I see Lilly's eyes, I see Lilly taking her last breath in my arms.
    I rushed to the place I had got my girls 6 months ago and they were completely empty and they told me they wouldn't have any chickens until February. Frebruary!? I can't wait till then!
    So please, please, if someone has or know of a buff orpington pullet that needs a new home in Los Angeles, contact me.

Here's a video of Colbie and Lilly playing

Thanks for reading

1 person likes this.
  2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    So sad

3. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    awwwwww, so sorry to hear about your loss! That video was ridiculously ADORABLE!!!!!!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry for your loss.

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

6. chachachick

chachachick New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Langley, British Columbia
    That Lilly was a delight is clear from your video. I am so sorry that you have lost her and hope you get a new girl soon.

7. Mac84

Mac84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Studio City, CA
    Thanks everybody, I feel like you people know how I feel . I just can't stop crying today. She wasn't just a chicken, she was THE chicken, the one that made me laugh, the one that made me mad for being so noisy and so nosy! And the one that would look into my eyes as If she knew something, the first one to say Hi to me every morning and the first one to jump on my lap and lay there for an hour while I told her how my day was while I was petting her. I am really going to miss her!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'm so sorry. I have lost many chickens too.

9. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    I love that chicken!! Is Colbie doing alright? I think you should get a buff CHICK and start over and maybe even name her Lily, helped me!! I know how you feel my chicken is dying in my backyard RIGHT now!! It is hard. [​IMG]

10. Mac84

Mac84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Studio City, CA
    I am so sorry for your chicken :hugs
    Well, I guess Colbie feels something is wrong since my other 3 girls are scared of him now, but I don't blame them :(
    I want to get another buff, my flock , even thou I only had 4 chickens before, looks tiny now, and i just love seeing them and spending time with them, but the problem is nobody seems to be breeding buff orpingtons around here and I don't want to buy them online, I don't want to get more than 2 chicks :confused:
    And I just can't wait to have 4 chickens again :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by