My chicken looks very sick! Help! Emergency!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jakrzz, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Alright so this week, my white leghorn has been getting very 'poofy' looking... At first I thought she just needed to lay a big egg or something. But she didn't lay an egg, in fact, she hasn't laid an egg all week!

She is very POOFED OUT! I mean, like a marshmallow! She doesn't sleep on the roost anymore, she hardly eats or drinks and she stays away from the rest of the hens-very secluded. Her comb is also starting to get a purple tint to it.

Just a few minutes ago, I relocated her to a large dog crate with food and water and I hope for the best. Please someone needs to help me I don't want her to die!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Unfortunately, I doubt there is much you can do. You can pump her full of vitamins and water and hope for the best, but I've seen this before. Completely withdrawn, usually in a corner, won't eat or drink, has a hazy, tired look to her to her face, and puffed up. You're dong right by isolating her. The others would start to pick on her if you hadn't. I wish I could be of more help, but unfortunately, other than the vitamins and water, there's really not much that you can do.

Good luck and hopefully she'll pull out of it, but prepare yourself for the worst...sorry

3. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Well thank you for the help and concern you have given, she has just started gulping down water like its no end to tomorrow! But she also keeps doing this thing where it looks like an extended yawn looking maneuver after she takes a sip of her water... Any ideas?

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    She may have something lodged in her throat perhaps...have you looked up gapeworm yet? Other than that, I'm all out of ideas. If you can get someone to hold her while you look down her throat with a flashlight, you should be able to see gapeworm if she has it. Doubt it, but you can check and rule it out

5. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    She might be egg bound? I would look up a thread on egg bound symptoms and treatment. I read one lady put her two egg bound girls in a luke warm tub that helped relax the muscles and one layed not long after the other didn't. If it is egg bound I think you should be able to feel the firmness under her body, but best thing would be to look up a good thread where this is extensively discussed

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Bring her inside where it's warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by