My chicken lost hearing, i think?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Orp lover, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Orp lover

Orp lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    My chicken was attacked by a cat and lost 2 nails. She also scrached her ear really bad. She doesn't run like the others when there are loud noises. Im worried she will become more injured because she can not hear out of one ear.
    [​IMG]

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    If her ear was scratched when she was injured, it may take some time for it to heal. How long ago was the injury? Can she see clearly (is she not a breed like a Silkie which might have somewhat impaired vision due to crest and so on)?

Is there a way to prevent the cat from returning and injuring your chickens further? That might be the best course to take. Can you confine her to a smaller, more protected run, in order to keep predators from her/them?

What sort of layout do you have for your chickens? Do they free range? Birds that are completely free range, who do not have the protection of say a guardian dog, are always more prone to predation. Perhaps best to boost security somehow, so if her hearing is damaged, you can still allow her to be safe.

We use electric poultry netting for our chickens to day range in, and find it very effective, with or without a battery (although to keep a cat away you'll need to use a battery.) It's not all that expensive, and lasts for many years (we are still using some that is almost ten years old.)

Good luck with her!

3. Orp lover

Orp lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    The chicken is doing good and has learned to use other ways to stay protected. she has figured out other ways to protect herself and avoided being killed by a hawk she is doing great. thanks for all the help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by