My chicken lost her balance

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
I have a full grown hen who stopped walking and now she won’t stand. I have her on supplements and I made a hammock to help her stand. She still eats, drinks and poops well. Any ideas on how I can help her regain her balance.

She is so sweet so I am hoping to get her well again.
60BCDC8C-0EA8-49BD-874C-0DBB02DFAE6D.jpeg

azygous

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It could be a simple thiamine deficiency. Give her vitamin B complex.

Or it could be Marek's. But typically, it affects chickens under a year old, although it's possible for older chickens to show symptoms.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
How old is she, and how long has she been like this? I had a hen once become imbalanced and not able to walk for a about 5 weeks. She stayed in a basket in the coop and I had to feed and water her twice a day. Eventually, she was able to walk again but still had some balance issues. A year later she died and her necropsy showed that she had cancer and some internal laying, which I think may have been putting pressure on her leg nerves. If you should lose her or put her down, if you ask your state vet to do a necropsy, they may find out what was wrong.

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
It could be a simple thiamine deficiency. Give her vitamin B complex.

Or it could be Marek's. But typically, it affects chickens under a year old, although it's possible for older chickens to show symptoms.
I did chat with my vet about Mareks and he said because this has been going on awhile and she did not have other Mareks symptoms, it wasn’t that and I would have had a larger loss in my flock.

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
How old is she, and how long has she been like this? I had a hen once become imbalanced and not able to walk for a about 5 weeks. She stayed in a basket in the coop and I had to feed and water her twice a day. Eventually, she was able to walk again but still had some balance issues. A year later she died and her necropsy showed that she had cancer and some internal laying, which I think may have been putting pressure on her leg nerves. If you should lose her or put her down, if you ask your state vet to do a necropsy, they may find out what was wrong.
I am not exactly sure how old she is because I did not get her as a chick but I would assume at least 2 because of the timing I have had her. Did you leave her in the basket, I am assuming in a sling, the entire time? I have two kennels I have been switching her between. One is with a sling and another with no sling but I have some wood to balance against. I am not sure if I am doing the right thing or do I put her down because of her quality of life. She is still eating and drinking but she is thin I am assuming due to loss of muscle. Any guidance would be so helpful!

Top Bottom