My chicken lost her toe

ChickenJohn78920

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
The chicken lost her toe about a month ago and I figured it would get better but now her foot is swollen what do I do

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_181743983.jpg
    IMG_20180217_181743983.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180217_181734933.jpg
    IMG_20180217_181734933.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 14
:welcome
Looks like it's healed well, doesn't look swollen to me & I don't see redness so that's good. Is there any redness? Hot to touch? Can you get a picture of the underside of her foot, think I may see bumble foot. Is there a scab under her foot?

It looks like there's a hole in her footand the hole lead to swolleness around the hole she's super active though

Attachments

• IMG_20180218_175306920.jpg
    IMG_20180218_175306920.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 11
I've never seen bumble foot myself, but my understanding is the pus is solid. I've always pictured it sort of cheesy like what I'm seeing in that last photo. That may be what this is, but I'm not sure. I think bumblefoot is a staph infection? You would need to soak and clean, and probably surgically remove the pus. Let's see what those with more experience in the matter have to say.

Hopefully this is tripping me out but if was dirty I cleaned out with a but of nasty stuff and put hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic cream and she seems to be walking on it better too

If that lumpy stuff is all infection that's pretty bad... it looks like it's spilling out of her foot. I've only dealt with mild bumblefoot by removing the infected tissue plug and then soaking in warm epson salt baths. I really hope someone who has more experience can give some advice.

I did want to ask, I notice in the photos there's wire flooring - is that what she's normally on? Wire is extremely hard on most animals and a leading cause of bumblefoot. If at all possible either cover the wire with a solid surface like plywood, or enough bedding so that she's not standing directly on wire.

Excellent advice thanks I didn't think she cared cause theres two portion to my coop good thing I have her in a carrier will I have to put her down?

Honestly I don't know if she'll make it or not. A missing toe isn't a huge deal, but the foot just looks so swollen and I really don't know what all that lumpy stuff is. Is she able to stand more or less normally? Is she eating okay? If she seems to be suffering I probably would put her down, but if she's eating and drinking I'd give her a chance. Maybe look up chicken slings on here and try putting her in one, as that'll take the pressure off her foot at least and help keep her upright so she can feed and drink.

Back
Top Bottom