1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken "Lunch" is severely injured - need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dymorgx7, Oct 24, 2015.

1. dymorgx7

dymorgx7 New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    My chicken "Lunch" (husband named this one) - she was attacked by our dog yesterday. She has lost most of her back feathers and has a couple of holes around the neck. Her back and tail are extremely red. We washed her with mild dawn soap and water, plugged the holes with neosporin and sprayed Banixx all over her back. She is not eating or drinking as far as I can tell.

My questions - How do I get her to eat or drink? Also, is it possible that she could have an egg stuck inside her? She is weak and I don't think she could lay right now.

[​IMG]

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Did she survive the night? If she hasn't died from shock or internal blood loss then infection will be the next big hurdle.

Can you offer her some sugar water? Getting her to drink and then eat (treats like scrambled egg or whatever she wants) while keeping her warm would be my advice. With puncture wounds I would also start her on antibiotics.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. dymorgx7

dymorgx7 New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Thanks Sonya. She is still alive so I will try the sugar water now. Where do I get antibiotics for her? Does tractor supply carry anything or do I need to find a vet?

4. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Tractor supply will have them. If she survived this long she may very well recover with some TLC.

The antibiotics typically come in large livestock packs, you will need to check the dose chart here to figure out how much to mix for a single bird (i.e. half tablespoon per quart of water etc...). Add a little sugar to the water to help cover the bitter taste too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. dymorgx7

dymorgx7 New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by