my chicken may be egg bound, update she just died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueseal, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    she had poop around her vent yellowy and i wiped it off . she was laying on the dropper board below the roost this morning. i picked her up and put her on the floor she walked over and took a couple drinks. she walks side to side with her butt pointed down. i checked her vent no egg inside . she is groaning and panting . yellowish/white liquid comeing out of her vent. she is the same hen that was broody the last 3 weeks . as i didnt let her set on eggs. she wouldnt stay out of nestbox. could she be poop bound. will she survive.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i checked on her again and she is laying in the dark in the corner of the coop. will she die if i leave her there. will she pass the egg by herself if thats her problem. just noticed her acting like this. this morning.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    She probably won't pass it herself. You need to get her isolated and comfortable. Get warm water and relax her so that her vent is relaxed. You can use olive oil and stick your finger in her vent to help the egg out. The egg comes from the top part of the inside of the vent. Make sure you get the yolk, white, and shell. There may not be a shell if the egg was not formed completely. Pm threehorses, she's very good with chicken medical issues.

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i checked her vent no egg inside. her butt is swollen like the size of a soft ball and there is liquidy yellowish stuff comeing out of her vent and shes groaning loudly and panting. i think this was the same hen that has been broody in the nest box for the last 3 weeks .she finally broke her broodiness as i wasnt letting her set on eggs. she wouldnt give up the nest until about aweek ago. could this be why shes in this conditon maybe its poop backed up from being in the nest so long.

6. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    just found her dead in coop laying on her back.

7. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    [​IMG] so sad...

8. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I'm so sorry... [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status: