My chicken might have a sprained leg!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chick321, Aug 6, 2014.

1. chick321

chick321 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    I have this chick it's not very old on the 1st my grandfather found him outside of the barn that morning. He was just laying there so I brought him down to the house he can still bend his leg but will not stand up if I put his feet in the right position he will bend both of his legs and lean forward onto his chest he will put weight on his legs if I'm holding him upright but as soon as I start to move my hand he leans to one side and lays back down I'm not sure what to do, HELP!!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

This chick may just be cold and traumatized. So get him under a heat lamp and crank up the heat to about 90 degrees. Dip his beak in some water and get him hydrated before he eats. Then you might feed him chopped up hard boiled egg for some quick energy. You can also put a couple tablespoons of sugar in a quart waterer and fill to the top with water.

Read through this article on raising baby chicks. This will tell you how to raise this little guy...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Good luck and I hope the little guy pulls through. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 sounds like he may be traymatized. Get him warmed up at 90 degrees and give him water with ACV or sugar. Egg or oatmeal are great to feed.

Hope he makes it!

4. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks I have had him inside since Friday and he has improved some. When I put him in his box he flaps around until he feels comfortable I guess. But he just refuses to stand up on his own should I make him a sling to support his weight so he is not laying down in his side all the time? And thanks I will give him some eggs and water with sugar in it and see if that helps! :)

5. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    Also yesterday his leg seemed to be a little swelled up but that has gone away now

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wouldn't force him to walk or stand. Keep the food and water really close to him in case he has sprained something. See if you can get some vitamins into him. Especially B's E and Selenium. Do you have any of that Rooster Booster supplement? (it is not just for roosters but all poultry) Even some pedialyte for kids might help him. But something with some vitamins and minerals in it. The lack of B's and E can cause severe weakness. If you can get to a feed store, look for something like this you can add to his water. This might help him greatly.

7. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks you do u think I should put him the sling so he's not laying down all the time? Also can I put the vitamin E oil right in his water and how much do I give him?

8. chick321

Aug 6, 2014
    This is a picture of him[​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  10. TwoCrows