My chicken might have eaten some morning glories

Peepchirpquack

Songster
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Earth
I have some wild morning glories growing in the backyard that I have been meaning to get rid of. My hen, peep, has been spending a lot of today in the backyard. She is walking very slowly and when I was offering the other girls a treat, she did not try to get some. Is this a problem? If it is, can morning glories kill her?

Hope she's okay. I am preparing a spot for my very first chickens and currently there are morning glories everywhere! I will pull what I can, but they have already gone to seed. After that I'll just hope for the best.

Hope she's okay. I am preparing a spot for my very first chickens and currently there are morning glories everywhere! I will pull what I can, but they have already gone to seed. After that I'll just hope for the best.

I have Morning glories growing all around my house...and i have chickens who have eaten some here and there and they are just fine. Last year, i planted morning glories up the wire of one side of the chicken fence...they kept eating all the new shoots...had to block it, but ended up with this beautiful wall of morning glories...once the plants made it pass the baby shoot stage, the chicken left it a lone. I don't think morning glories would kill them....maybe make them sick? I haven't had a problem so good-luck with yours :)

Mine was probably just bindweed. I did some research and the flowers look exactly like a light purple flower called bindweed. Peep is fine now:)

Thanks for the info. I've been reading about so many toxic plants and then hearing stories of chickens eating them without harm. I'm thinking it depends on the chick, the rest of their diet, and perhaps the variety of the plant. In the end, I'll compromise: not intentionally plant something harmful near the chickens and not go overboard trying to make a perfect range for them. My dog's eaten chocolate, albeit a total accident, and never had trouble. Not that I'd offer it to him, but then again I won't panic every time I hear horror stories.

Back
Top Bottom