My chicken momma abandoned her eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickmomma5683, Dec 14, 2016.

1. chickmomma5683

chickmomma5683 Just Hatched

Dec 14, 2016
    Brenham TX
    My hen has been brooding for about 16-17 days now nonstop and all of a sudden today she left her eggs and went outside with the others and hasn't returned. It's been about 4-5 hours and I'm worried her babies are dead now [​IMG] It's about 65 degrees here today. I put a heat lamp high up over them to try and help, but how do I get her to come back and lay on them?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chickmomma5683 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry that I am not able to answer your question regarding your broody apparently giving up on her eggs. You might want to try posting your predicament on the Incubating & Hatching Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I don't have experience with a broody abandoning her eggs but Teila has given you a good place to get some help.

Hope all turns out well. Thanks for joining us!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Apparently your hen wasn't fully committed to mommy-hood. If it was her first time, that is understandable. Main thing is you have to brood the eggs yourself, putting them in an incubator and monitoring temperature and humidity settings. It is possible she didn't feel the eggs were viable, so abandoned them. If you know how to candle eggs you could see if they are still alive.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by