My chicken nightmare continues! Now worms!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buteo4, Nov 13, 2010.

1. buteo4

buteo4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Menominee, MI
    Summary (see my earlier post from a couple days ago, it's a long story)...lice, respiratory infection, dog attack...started after bringing 3 new birds into my flock. I have culled 2 symptomatic hens (foul smelling nasal discharge, eyes swollen shut, lethargic) I am currently treating the remainder of the flock with sulfamethoxine (on day 3 of 6). They seem generally healthy with only minor wheezing in 2 or 3 birds). Prior to this starting I had found lice on some of my birds and still need to dust them for that. Then this morning I found a nasty poo with a roundworm in it!! I had treated with wazine in the spring. Now I have more questions...I assume I need to wait until they are done with antibiotics to treat with wazine again...can I treat right away or would that stress their systems too much? Then when do I retreat for worms (I understand with fenbendazole paste, in 2 weeks)? When should I dust for lice?
    When they are are treated and recovered can I sell them (or will they be carriers)? (I have some beautiful birds...most are from a spring Mcmurray order so I don't want to cull). I would like to just keep a few birds over the winter and start over a new batch in the spring.

Help! I have kept chickens for many years...I've never had so many problems!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would use sevin dust on them now, dust their house, roosts and nests. Repeat dusting everything in 10 days including your chickens. You're on day 3 of day 6 with the antibiotics...day 7 treat them with the wazine. Ten days later worm them with safeguard paste equine wormer (fenbendazole.) Dosage is a "pea" size amount for each chicken. It's easier to administer by putting it on a small piece of bread and giving a piece to each chicken. Good luck and hang in there.

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I imagine the % of seven would 10% or so to chickens? 5% would be the garden grade 7. The 10% 7 is the pest controll dust. What do you use on chickens? 5 or 10%?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Use sevin 5% dust only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by