1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicken passed a bunch of worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Well. I have one of my chickens in sick bay post op crop surgery. She is doing fair. This morning when I checking on her she had passed about 6 round worms( vet confirmed when I took my cat today). They were certainly dead. There was a bit of maybe intestinal lining at the same time passed. I had not treated her with any wormer. I have been treating her with a diet of yogurt, buttermilk and acidophillis/BL post op for something easy on her guts. I know she does not have a lot of food in her guts since her diet has been limited. I have never seen worms before. Especially not in a glob like this.... looks like they died and were passed... not just in the stool. Any thoughts....

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:When you see worms in poop without using a wormer, is because there is no more room for them inside the digestive tract...better known as an infestation. The reason they are dead is because they cannot survive unattached from their host and are excreted because of worm overload, they are excreted dead or are in the process of dying. The hundreds that are left inside, are laying thousands of eggs to be shed onto the soil to start their lifecycle all over again.
    After using a wormer, you may or may not see worms in poop, depending on the wormload... sometimes they are absorbed as protein in their digestive sytem.
    If you havnt wormed them, I recommend you worm them immediately. Worms can eventually weaken your chickens to the point of death. I recommend you use valbazen, a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock.com or you can call them. Valbazen is given orally. There is a 14 day withdrawal period.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    All I have as a choice where I live is perpenizine( not correct spelling I am sure). My 2 girls that are in sick bay... will treating them be too much for them to deal with??? I have read different places about the withdrawl and some say one week for this and others 2....

4. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    piperazine..... no withdrawl period is listed for this.....

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I assume no withdraw period is listed since this is the same medication that is used to treat humans for round worms.....found from Encyclopedia Britannica site "piperazine, also called hexahydropyrazine, anthelmintic drug used in the treatment of intestinal roundworm infection in humans and domestic animals (including poultry) and against pinworm infection in humans. It is administered orally, in repeated doses, usually as the citrate salt. Its action causes worms to be paralyzed and then eliminated in the stool." Something that many people growing up experiences biannually if you live in certain areas. I have also read that the amount of the drug excreted into the egg peaks between 48 and 96 hours after administering the drug .... anyone know where the 2 week period comes from???

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would go with Dawg53's rec and order the Valbazen. It will get any type of worm in there. Piperazine only does roundworms. I know you have identified them, but there are probably more.

Notice Valbazen is a cattle/sheep wormer, not a chicken wormer. It won't be sold in the chicken section, and the feed store people probably won't suggest it.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

7. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have asked and that is the only wormer they have. I live in NS. We have a more limited selection. I plan to treat with the piperazine and see how things go. If anyone knows of something else that is available in canada that would be great. And ordering from the US is not an option... if it is not approved in canada you can't bring it in.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Valbazen is approved for use in Canada. Pfizer manufactures it. They have satellite branches in Canada.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Mix one ounce (30ml) piperazine in one gallon (3.8L) water. Put it out for your chickens early in the morning before you let them out. Leave it out for 24 hours for them to drink, then remove and replace with regular freshwater. Withdrawal is 14 days. The bottle has a warning that states; do not medicate prior to slaughter within 14 days for turkey's and chickens. If the chickens are ok to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs.
    You might also check into equine wormers. I have used equine wormers for chickens as well. Zimectrin Gold and Safeguard are 2 that come to mind, but there are others. They have a 14 day withdrawal also. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by