1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken plans for this coming year

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Buster, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I plan on working with several breeds this coming year. Specifically:

BBS Orps: I have stock from several lines now and by spring I should be ready to go!

Buff Orps: I have stock now and I'm working to improve my lines. It's looking like it will be good. This project is the one I'm working with my 4 yo son on. The Buffs are HIS.

Project birds: I have some things in the works and I need to get some extra pens built to move forward this year.

Speckled Sussex: I should be able to have breeding stock of these later this year if all goes well.

Sex-links: There is a local market for sex-links so I am working on buying eggs for breeding stock this spring. They include: NHR, RIR, SLW, BR, and Dels. I'm excited for this one because it will allow me to sell more chicks locally.

I am also working on some random breeds for DW for her layer flock this year. Ameraucanas top the list. This has been a good place to start the birds we are interested in until we figure out if we like them or not. Our EE's will go away when I have Ameraucanas that lay. Nothing against the EE's, they just aren't as "pretty" as the other birds I have here.

Slate Blue turkeys are on the list this year as well. Mostly we just want them to eat for the holidays. I'll be ordering hatching eggs for them soon too.

I am going to continue to build up my quail flock. I have a local interest in them too and, hey, they're cool!

My silkies and d'uccles are going bye bye, as well as the ducks. Nothing WRONG with them really, they just don't fit the bill for what I am trying to do around here. Now they are just taking up space.

I have a lot of building to do as soon as the ground thaws. I need two 8x24 buildings and a fenced chicken yard. I'm ready to go as soon as the weather breaks!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good luck with all of your plans. Sounds like it's going to be a busy year for you too! [​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have been working on my plans as well. Hubby has planned 12 breeding pens, he has the frames for 3 complete, two are wired but for now it is technically a double coop/run.
    We plan to build one more large area that could be divided if need be.
    Also have to build one more Phoenix Pen for my other male and the female I have picked out for him.

After all of this we will redo the Bantam Pens and end up with 4 of those and they will be larger than they are now.

When all is said and done we will have:

Standard Cochins in:

Barred and BBS

Orps in Buff and BBS

Bronze Turkeys

Mottled Houdans

Salmon Favorelles

Barred Rocks

Buff Silkies (May add other colors later)

Buff Polish

Bantam Cochins:
    White Frizzles

Mottled

BBS

I also have a couple projects Planned

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks Jody! It will be busy but they have predicted a prolonged layoff this year so I think I will have a window of time to work with that will allow me to brood the chicks and build buildings before I go back to work. [​IMG]

Lockedhearts- Looks like you'll be busy too!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

LOL I had DW read this tonight just to make sure we were on the same page since she will be tending everything while I am working out of town next summer. Success! She agreed with all my plans! I had consulted with her a lot about it before I ever made plans, but it was nice to get a final approval from THE BOSS. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good luck with all the plans,Jared. Hopefully, I'll be helping you with some of that! [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Email sent Cyn! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sent you one, too. [​IMG]

9. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Well with you guys sending PM's it's a good thing we all tested Buster PM capabilities the other day.[​IMG]

Nice to have a plan Jared.[​IMG]

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Well, I've finished my arrangements for my first round of shipped hatching eggs to me this spring. On or about March 2nd, 7 dozen eggs will be heading my way including:

Rhode Island Reds
    New Hampshire Reds
    BBS Orpingtons
    Buff Orpingtons
    Barred Rocks
    Silver-Laced Wyandottes
    Speckled Sussex
    Split-lavender Ameraucanas

Many of them are for beginning my sex-link projects. Might as well get them here, hatched and brooded in one shot rather than drag it out all year. I will have another, smaller round of hatching eggs coming later in the spring but this will be all I can handle for now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by