My chicken puts things on her back

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sarah97, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Sarah97

Sarah97 New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    So I have witnessed 2 of my 3 chickens do this. When they are laying, they pick up individual wood chips, bark, straw and other objects they have found and she puts it on her back, walks away and puts more stuff on her back, what is she doing? How can I treat this? Is it bad? Thanks for all the help! [​IMG]

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    That's very common behavior. I have 10 layers and they all do it. It's sort of like a remnant of the "I'll just cover myself up and nobody will see me or my little family" instinct. I love to watch them do that. Some just grab a bit, toss it and are done, and others, like my Mathilda, have to make a major production of it. She'll run frantically from corner to corner in the coop grabbing and tossing, not even realizing that as she runs all the stuff she put on her back is sliding off. Then she'll get in the nest, look and see just THE perfect feather, and have to add that to her ensemble, even if she has to leave the nest to reach it and start the entire process over again. Silly chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by