1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My Chicken Raising Journal..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Foleys, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Ok today is June 1 we have had our chicken just over a month now and I must say it has been plesent raising them. We have not had many problems so far. The one problem we did have was with our Roo. He had (dry) Fowl pox. We took the advise of our fellow chicken raisers on here and washed his comb and affected areas off and put anitbiotic ointment on him once a day for about 3 days. Little by little it started to look better and is all cleared up now..

Thease are some pics we took after cleaning him up on one of the 3 nights.
    [​IMG]

I looed like crap from working all day..
    [​IMG]

Yesterday hubby and I put a tarp half over the chicken run cause the chickens will not go in their coop when it rains and it has and is supposed to rain alot this up coming week so we put a temperary tarp over the run so they wont get drenched. I read somewhere it is not good for them to get wet and I am not going to be out in the rain 20 times a day for the next week putting them in the coop when it rains. So we decided to just tie a tarp over it and it seems to work. We know it is not conventional but o well whatever works it.

The chickens made a lier out of me yesterday also. The other day Bryan was telling me that he didnt want the chickens by the road. I replied the chickens never go by the road and ushually dont well they did yesterday.. Go Figure!!!

I have been worried that we are not feeding them the right things though. We had them on starter only with an here and there treat(bread) for the first 2 weeks we had them. Now we have them on a starter mixed with cracked corn.. I hope that is right..

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thanks for sharing and you don't look like crap! You look like a hard working young lady. It sounds like you take great care of your chickens too!

As far as feed I think what you are doing is fine as long as they have grit. When I moved mine out to the coop I started them on layer pellets. Mine didn't go out until they were almost 2 months old though. It was a little to cool here to put them out earlier. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

3. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    June 3

So today I let all the chickens out to free rangs cause they have not been able to for a few days due to all the rain we have been having here in GA and I go out the back door for something I cant remember what anyways I come up around to the front and what do I see all 5 chickens at the front door lookin like they were thinking ok how do I open this thing? It was the funniest thing I have ever seen I was going to get a picture to share it on here but by the time I got the camera they were not in that spot anymore...OH well.

4. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    June 4

Last night I have my first egg dream...It felt so real and then I woke up..Dang it!!!
    Any how we had speghtti last night for dinner and I made some extra noodles for my babies. I gave them some for breakfest (it is their first time having noodles..) at first they were kinda curious about what this funny lookin stuff was and then all of a sudden they went crazy. The first one to dig in was MaMa[​IMG] and the rest followed[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]This last one is MaMa[​IMG]..
    Yesterday I checked for lice and mites and not a one I am so happy for that.. Well that is all I have for now....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by