My chicken saved my life this morning!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ArizonaNessa, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well in reality I probably would not have died but I thought I was going to for a minute there. I decided to go out and move some plywood in the yard and all was going well until I lifted up the bottom piece. There were tons of crickets which didn't alarm me much but then there it was the biggest scorpion I have ever seen since I have lived here in Arizona!!!! It was all of 3 inches long not counting the tail and I was terrified. Heck I have lived here since 2000 and never knew they could get that big. Was hubby anywhere to be found? Heck no!!! So I did the only thing I could think of because I was kinda sorta freaking out just a tad.....I CALLED THE GIRLS!!!! Lucy came running cause she is my greedy one. In just a second she had that thing all dead and gone. She saved me!!! [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of my wonderful little Lucy (named after Lucille Ball)

[​IMG]

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Your hen is a natural redhead. No henna rinse for her. [​IMG] I love, Lucy, too.... never thought of naming a chicken after her!

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] What a GOOD girl!!! See, this is why chickens rule!!!!

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    That is a very cute story, Lucy does have that greedy gleam in her eyes! [​IMG] She's adorable, what a good girl! [​IMG] I didn't know chickens could eat scorpions!

5. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    She has a sister named Ethel too. Ethel has a little more white around her neck area than Lucy does. They are two peas in a pod!! I was so glad to have them this morning. Who could want for more? Breakfast and a rescue team!!!

6. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Yes they are good scorpion control and to watch her with it was pretty cool. It's like she knew what it was. She got the tail first then pecked at its body a few times and gulp it was gone.

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Is Ethel heavier than Lucy?

8. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    LoL nah but just as greedy. Treats in the morning remind me of that scene in the bakery where Lucy and Ethel are stuffing pastries in their mouths off the moving belt.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    LOL I have a Lucy too. SHe's a NH Red. However, my white hen, Zsha Zsha, is my fast moving pest control. I saw her chase a mouse once.

10. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Quote:Yes they are good scorpion control and to watch her with it was pretty cool. It's like she knew what it was. She got the tail first then pecked at its body a few times and gulp it was gone.

That's awesome, I love watching them catch things and eat them. My girls' biggest quarry has been a couple of giant, 8 inch long earthworms. Its always a good day when they find one of those! Grasshopper hunting is great fun too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by