My chicken seems tired

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Welsh Ducky, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    My chicken laid a really floppy squishy egg, and is acting really tired and stands in one spot then closes her eyes for a while, pleas help thies are my first chickens but I don't want her to die! :hit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    She is laying down now and it's day time I don't think chickens sleep in the day time. Help!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is she?
    Not unusual for a new layer to pass a few softies.
    I've seen pullets act very strange right before they lay a soft egg, just like you described-standing stock still.
    It must feel strange.
    Chickens will lounge around and 'nap' during the day.
    Just keep an eye on her.

4. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I thought she had been Laing eggs before so that's why I'm worried.
    But it might be possible she hasn't laid yet. :yiipchick

5. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    My chickens nap all day on and off while they are free ranging. When I go out to the couch on my screened in patio they come up and go under the Hawk shelter I have for them next to the patio and nap while me and my Great Dane nap on the couch. Perfectly normal.

6. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Once I got a soft shelled egg when my hens first started laying. Then about a year later one of my chickens didn't make it in from the run into the coop before the automatic door closed. She had to spend the night up on a high shelf in the fenced run all by herself. The next morning i found her up on the shelf and a soft shell egg was on the ground under her. I assume it was from stress of being outside all night.

7. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    Mine was stuck on the other side of a fence and she couldn't get back untill I helped her. do you think that might have made her lay a soft shelled egg? :/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by