1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken seems to have gone very quiet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by burney, Oct 16, 2013.

1. burney

burney New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    I may be worrying for nothing as I have only had my girls for just over a year, but one of my girls seems to have gone really quiet suddenly. I cannot see anything wrong with her,and she is eating and drinking. I let them all out for 1/2 an hour and she was wondering about with the others. I have noticed that when I feed them, there is one that seems to want all the food to herself and pushes the others to one side. Could this be a pecking order 'thing' and sort itself out ? or could it be a change in the weather as it has turned cold quickly.They have all got on well since I got them. Thank you. Burney.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pecking order. The top hen will hog the food till she gets her fill.

Here is a good video on chicken behavior, especially pecking order.

The extra quiet one could still be a concern. They try to hide illness.

3. burney

burney New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Thank you for your help on this, apparently my chicken was feeling poorly due to her moult. I was advised to give her some oily fish - which helps the new feathers come through. I gave all the girls pilchards in oil before they retired for the night and my quiet chicken was a lot better the next morning. After a couple of days she was like new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by