1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken Seems Very Sick and Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 123marti, Oct 14, 2015.

1. 123marti

123marti New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    Eastern New Hampshire
    I have a Buff Orpington who seems very sick and won't eat any of her food. I try to give her yummy egg, mealworms, and corn, but she won't touch it.

She sleeps all day
    She is extremely skinny and I can feel almost all her bones
    Won't eat anything
    Wings droop down

I saw her poop one time, but it just looked like urine. There was nothing solid.

We do have worming medicine, but I can't get her to eat it after putting it in chicken treats, regular food, mealworms, or egg.

What should I do?

2. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aw-Ee Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    I would take her to the vet. If it worms or intestinal reasons and she won't eat, the vet might have to force medicine down, or find out it it's something different. Hopefully she gets better.

3. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! sorry you are having trouble. I hope you get more replies. You can use a needleless syringe or dropper to dose her directly. If you gently drizzle the meds beside her tongue, she should swallow them right down. You should try to provide electrolyte vitamin H20 as well. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by