My chicken sounds like a goat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffhead, Jan 8, 2008.

1. fluffhead

fluffhead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi!

I'm new to posting here, but I've been reading a lot over the past few months. I am a naive city slicker with two hens.

My 7-month old Ameraucana sounds like a goat. On every exhalation, she emits a soft "maaaaaw" sound. Then, occasionally she does what I think is sneeze - a loud, pointed chirp with a shake of her head. No discharge from her nares.

Otherwise, she is acting as normal, even chasing my cat around. Should I be concerned or isolate her? Any other reason she would suddenly sounding like this?

Thanks so much!
    Daniela

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I don't know what that could be, I think that you should go ahead and isolate her anyway.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Are these birds you raised yourself or did you get them from someone? Has she always done it or did it just start?

If you don't think it is a respiratory issue, my next thought would be gapeworms, perhaps? I have no experience with gapeworms (thank goodness!), so I'm just guessing, but it might be worth looking into.

4. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wonder if one of her nares has something stuck in it? That could cause a whistling kind of sound and the sneeze...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by