my chicken still hasnt layed an egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by agnes_day, Nov 20, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    my buff orpinton, "sunshine" still hasnt layed an egg...she was born in late april, and shes big and fluffy and receptive to blackie, our rooster but still nothing!
    isnt she old enough?

2. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I've had the same problem with my 4 Rhode Island Reds. They are happy hens, at the right age, but still nothing.

We realized though after reading the posts here that they need 14 hours of light/day.

We got a battery operated light that automatically turns on every morning at 3am.

We've only had it for 3 days, but there is a significant change in our hens' behavior. They are more active, the rooster is getting friskier, and they are making nests in their boxes.

I have a feeling our very first egg is coming any day now.

I'll let you know if it works.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    they run around outside all day long..should i keep a light on for a while at night?
    i dont think they would get into that very much..
    something to consider i guess!

4. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    They say it's better to add light earlier in the morning, so that if the light suddenly shuts off on them, they aren't stuck in the dark not knowing where the roost is.

They also say that you only really need enough light to read a newspaper by.

So we have a dim light that they can still sleep by.

I would do a little more research on here about it before deciding how to go about it.

I'm a total newbie at this, so....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by