My chicken story, and new order today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoffeeCow, Jan 21, 2011.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I started my flock last year in may, I had ordered a nice mix of 10. 2 BO's, 2 Delawares, 5 EE Hens and 1 EE Roo.
    One of the BO's died on the first night [​IMG] but the other 9 chicks did well. (you can see pictures on my BYC page)

We had our BO go broody in early December, so I loaded her up and we hatched out 3 little fuzzy butts on Christmas eve/day. They are growing fast [​IMG]

Our rooster was not a very good fellow ... he was too rough on the girls, I tried to work with him to help calm him down, believe me, I tried everything, even tried for a month to re-home him... but when he went after my son, that was the last straw... well, lets just say he went on a vacation... So that left me without a rooster. We really like having the chicks around, so we are getting a new Rooster, hopefully he will be a bit less aggressive.

Out of the chickens we have, The Delawares are by far the nicest and most affectionate of the lot. That helped make up my mind on what to get to replace our roo.

We are having a tough time with only 7 layers (the BO is too busy being a mom to lay right now) keeping up with the demand from our co-workers and neighbors. Everyone loves our eggs!! so we decided to order some new ones. I know that we may have a roo or 2 in our little group of chicks, but I want to raise Delawares, so we will re-home any of the chicks that turn out to be the crowing type [​IMG]

Our minimum order from MPC is 6, so here is what I ordered today: (they ship March 14)
    1 Buff Orpington Female, I really wanted to have another BO, I love the one we have, and she is as sweet as can be, also a great mother. so I ordered her a friend [​IMG]
    1 Delaware Male
    4 Delaware Females

Chickens are very addicting... can't wait to hatch out some more [​IMG]

2. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My MPC order shops March 14, as well!
    I'm getting 2 EEs, and one each of Buff Orpington, Austrolarp, Wyandotte, and Light Brahma. Hoping for all hens this time. We did get one roo last year, and he, too, is headed for that "vacation." I'm thinking I really just don't want a roo at all.
    Now, how ever do we wait for March!?!

3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Its a really long wait ... but at least I have 3 little fuzzballs to watch while I wait [​IMG]

horrible pics, but here they are at about 2 weeks old

Santas Little Helper
    [​IMG]
    Eve/Steve
    [​IMG]
    BJ
    [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I enjoyed your pics and story! I too am waiting for Dellies to arrive in the mail (2 of them), as well as some other chickens.

Your chicks are cute! [​IMG]

5. chickens rule123

chickens rule123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    you guys are lucky ours get shipped april 11 [​IMG]

and you chickies are as cute as can be [​IMG]

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Aww, so cute!

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Mine are being shipped from Belt hatchery February 23rd! I can't wait ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by