my chicken talks ALLLLLL night and day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pinkpeach, Oct 16, 2011.

1. pinkpeach

pinkpeach Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    I am new to the chicken world. We were given two Leghorn Hens about 6 weeks ago, they are a year old, friendly and lay every day. We recently added two new younger hens (frizzle and a barred/cochin/bantam mix) to the coop, they are around 4 months (from what I was told). Our Leghorns are only vocal when they want to be let out of the coop or when they are both preparing and finished laying their eggs. Our frizzle was injured and is now kept inside while she recovers, we were advised to keep her "friend" (the little barred mix) with her to avoid loneliness.........We did this (yesterday was the first day) We took a large kennel and prepared it for them. Our little barred mix chirped (for lack of a better word) ALL day and ALL night. We looked at her in the evening and she appeared to be chirping in her sleep. Is this normal? If so why does she do this? We cover the cage around 7pm because that is what time they would normally retire to the hen house. Could this be why the Leghorns pick on her, because she's a talker???

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

. Edited because is now in proper section of BYC..

Thanks mods and OP!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. pinkpeach

Oct 16, 2011
    how do I ask to have it moved to that section?? My injured Frizzle is not the one talking. She seems to be doing fine, eating, drinking and taking her meds very well. My talking chicken is my mini barred rock mix. We got her and the frizzle from the same coop (frizzle babies her). Maybe she was just talking to the injured one because they had been apart for 24 hours, I have no idea. We are keeping them together in the house. Our frizzle gets very upset when the mini barred is out of her sight.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I asked for you. I figured out how to do it after I posted, lol. I usually tell folks to ask the mods but figured everyone just sends a PM or something. I hit "report" and then selected "wrong section." I didn't realize there was a "wrong section" selection available before now.

Anyhow, I hope that someone will chime in to answer your question soon.

Oh, I just reread your post. I apologize- actually I should have asked for it to be moved to the "Chicken Behaviors" section if it isn't the injured chicken talking a lot.

I will ask for it to be moved over there then...with my apologies to the mods.

5. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    It could be a number of things. Here are some thing I thought you could check into: 1)Fully check her over for any injuries, bugs, etc. 2)She could be stressed because she is in a new environment. Offer poultry vitamins in water. Does she seem to hug up to the frizzle and chirp loudly when you are near? If so, maybe she is just afraid right now and the frizzle is her only comfort. Maybe you could offer her some treats (hand feed her) until she warms up to you and realizes you are a friend, not a foe. 3)It's a bit early but maybe her body is telling her it is close for her to start laying eggs? I know my chickens were stressed a bit during this body changing time.

How long have you had her and the frizzle?

6. Strange_Screams

Strange_Screams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I have one of those, a three year old full sized barred rock. She walks around the yard all day cluck cluck clucking, and cluck cluck clucks all night in her sleep.

7. pinkpeach

Oct 16, 2011
    Thank you for the reposting in different section. We have vitamins in the water, we do hand feed (my children do). I guess maybe she could be stressed, she was taken from her home to our home 2 weeks ago and is now brought inside from an outside coop. The frizzle is around 4 months and seems to mother the mini barred. It's cute how they get along so well. Maybe it's a barred thing??? It's not even a normal cluck per say. Sounds more like a little chirp chirp chirp. She gets a bit quieter at night. I HOPE it's because she is getting ready to lay!!!!! that would be great.

8. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:I was thinking more about my own girls and if I had a chirper and you know what!? I did!! I adopted two pullets well after my original flock was outside. (All my hens around about 7 months old now.) Anyways, I adopted a Buff Orpington and an Easter Egger raised together from a craigslist add. Well, the EE had gone through quite a bit of stress as she was attacked twice by a dog at her old home so she had broken toes, an injured eye and later I found she had lice too! Poor girl. Anyways, the BO (Millie) would take such good care of her, like her little protector, it was so cute. But the EE (her name is Gracie but I call her "Little Beans") chirped ALOT when we first got her! My thought was that we were going to have to get rid of her! She chirped at night too. I think she finally quite after 3-4 weeks. I had forgotten completely about it because she has now healed, her and her BO sister have now been fully accepted into the flock and she is a happy girl. Give it time, I bet she will come around. If not, you may have a little loud BR like Strange_Screams has! [​IMG]

Here they are shortly after we got them. Like two peas in a pod.

[​IMG]

9. pinkpeach

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel much better with the info. Thank you to all who helped me (especially putting my issue in the right spot). Our little BR (zha zha) seems to be doing better, not chirping as much. From the last post, it makes sense that she is/was stressed seeing as how (now that I think about it) she was relocated, had 2 grown Leghorns picking on her while a neurotic Dachshund circled her pen looking for any way to get in. THEN said Dachshund attacked her friend and protector, our frizzle (blondie). What a horrible experience. We have since taken care of the problem. Blondie is doing great. My concern now is REintroducing them to our two Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by