1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chicken thinks she is a cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinediana, Mar 14, 2007.

1. carolinediana

carolinediana New Egg

Mar 14, 2007
    for the last 5 years we have had 8 hens and 1 cockerel, but recently we have had to get rid of the cockerel because he was attacking us all the time. So over the last 3 months one of our hens (not sure which one) has started to crow in the morning but its a funny strangled high pitched kind of crowing why is she doing this?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Someone has to keep the flock in order, which is usually the rooster. Since there is no rooster, she has taken his place. A hen will generally take on many rooster characteristics, including crowing and mounting other hens to establish her hierarchy/dominance.

Jody

3. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Just a hen with a little more testosterone than the others. Just be glad you don't adhere to the old wives tale about crowing hens. My grandfather would stop whatever he was doing and track down and kill a crowing hen. Supposedly a bad omen/bad luck sign...I think it is kinda cool myself...

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They are pretty cool. I miss mine terribly.[​IMG]

5. golden campine

golden campine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Before my sister and i had some chikens and then some crazy dogs came and killed all of them.There was only a female left but we thought she was a rooster because she was crowing and was 3 month old until.......................................................i was walking around the house trying to find her and instead of her i found an egg.itookit and they didnt believe me they said where did you find it i showed them.But like my sister thought she sall was true before she sall a wild rooster and i didnt believe her until the hen got fertile eggs and broody.But sadly on the very last day strike a racoon.we fond little chick bodys dead and the mommy the chicks never came out of there eggs a live because of a racoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by