My Chicken Tractor and the Rooster Rodeo

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bburn, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Finally finished my chicken tractor and yesterday we gathered up five roosters and put them in it. I do have a tarp that I put over one end during the day and at night covered it from one end to the other. We finally got the wheels added to it yesterday and moved it from the front yard to the backyard over by the coop and run. It rolled smoothly and just took one person to get it there. So, I am pleased with it. My stepson helped me and everything was square. It really seems sturdy and feels like it will really hold up. We drilled holes to put the pvc pipe in and once the hardware cloth was added it really felt strong. I, however, am coverd with scratches and cuts from the hardware cloth! It has a mind of it's own.

On the ends we used hardware cloth on one end and 1" square galvanized wire on the other end where I put the door. I cut out the size I wanted and cut a new piece to make the door and attached it with 'j' hooks (I am sure they are called something else but they are shaped like a 'j' and you use a little pair of plier thingys to attach them) I put them at the bottom so the door would swing down and use covered wire at the top to secure it when I close it.

After finishing it and moving it we had the rooster rodeo and gathered up four roosters and put them in it. My grandaughter was helping and determined to catch a rooster for herself. She finally caught one and there are five now in the tractor. I did not notice when I was taking the pictures but when I put them on the computer I saw her in the background and died laughing. She was watching her dad catch a rooster and she was cracking up.

All in all it was a good day and I feel better having gotten at least 5 of the 14-15 roosters out of the run and coop. It is amazing how quickly the behaviors and the pecking order changes when you remove some of the aggressive ones. Once the excess boys are gone I will use the tractor to put in the garden to clean up and fertilize and next spring will fix it up to put a hen in to raise her babies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the last picture is Chicken TV at it's finest (actually it is my back door) but a fine place to watch the chickens peck!!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    NICE!! I love it! [​IMG]

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    That's a nice design.. I've been meaning to make one of my own out of Straight PVC to reduce the weight, but I somehow never can find the time [​IMG]

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I like it...thanks. It is heavy and I was worried. However we put some wheels on the back and it is pretty slick how easy it is to move. But we are prone to use any scrap materials up here we can find and all the wood was from a remodel my husband had done. So, other than the hardware cloth and the pvc pipe we did not have to buy anything else. Like my chicken coop....was made from leftover 2x4's and the roof of a barn that fell down. Built it up next to a chainlink dog pen that had not been used in years. What ever works....love having a place to put the roo's. (ok...some of the roos)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by