My chicken tractor - construction and finished pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BC Gal, Aug 16, 2010.

1. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Here is the chicken tractor my hubby built me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels are removable; I just life the corner and slide the wheel on on both sides, then lift and pull by the handle on the front. Even though the wheels are not attached, they do not fall off.

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    You are Lucky to have a talented husband to do that for you. I love it, He did a great job!!!

3. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    that is super cool! [​IMG]

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    VERY nice ! And very original design. Let us know if u make any changes in it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    BRILLIANT!!!!!! This is just fabulous!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

6. BC Gal

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks everyone and yes Little Ameraucana Mom, I am lucky to have such a talented and great hubby [​IMG]. I show him pics of this tractor https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22688-kycklingars-4x10-tractor , though he changed the design a bit.

The only minor thing is that once the wheels are on, the door cannot be fully opened; it is not that big of a deal because the wheels cannot be left on since it does lift the coop off the ground. I found about the door when I went to get the waterer and moveable perch out before I moved it and had already put the wheels on. I have the feeder hanging but take it out as well so it doesn't swing around. The chickens are really good about walking along with it while in motion [​IMG]

7. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    nice tractor, what are the hoops made out of, they don't look like pvc

8. BC Gal

Aug 8, 2010
    The hoops are made out of something called composite liner; hubby works for a window manufacturing company and they throw out a lot of it; it use to get chopped into two foot lengths and thrown in the garbage. There are a few people now who take it home and make things out of it. We have a couple arbors and a high tunnel/greenhouse made from it. Here is my high tunnel

[​IMG]

The top gets covered in plastic before it rains. You can see the arbor into the other chicken coop in the background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    that is neet stuff, I would love to get my hands on some

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop