1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken tractor - I want to modify it!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southern Gardener, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    for my meat birds. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    Love your tractor. I need to build something like that myself. Is it very heavy or hard to move. I had thought of using 2x2s or even pvc to make it lighter. Do you have anything on the bottom to prevent preditaors?

3. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    No, it's not heavy at all - it's 4 x 10 and I used 2 x 4's and welded wire.

I have a 4' chain link fence that encloses my backyard, but I don't really have any predators except for maybe the occasional wayward dog. It was cheap and easy to build.

4. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    The poop is awful! I want to staple hardware cloth to the bottom and put it up on blocks and have something under it to catch the poop to keep it off the grass. Would that be ok to do?

5. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    I thought the idea of a chicken tractor was to move it on a regular basis so the poop would not get so bad and they would have fresh grass. Maybe you should move it more often? I don't know just an idea.
    [​IMG]

6. chickiechica

chickiechica New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Will the poop hurt a good lawn? I thought the poop was supposed to be good for grass?

7. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Well, it is good for the lawn and I do move the thing everyday without fail, but was wanting to leave it in one spot. After we move it, we spray the area down well with the water hose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by