My chicken tractor turned into a coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Trollkiller, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Being the cheep... err frugal person I am, I decided to use old pallets for the construction. It is sturdy but a bit heavy to be used as a tractor. (Wife has a bad back) I have not even added the run part to it yet. [​IMG]

Thankfully I used Sheetrock screws to put it all together so dis-assembly and redesign won't be all that hard.

If at first you don't succeed, read the directions. [​IMG]

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well you have got to take some picture's. I am going to use old pallets to and I would like to see how you did it. So hurry up already, lol.

3. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:I will take a few pictures as soon as the batteries charge. Check back sometime shortly after 8 EST

4. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I will take a few pictures as soon as the batteries charge. Check back sometime shortly after 8 EST

SWEET.... I'll be here.

5. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Here you go. The coop is upside down, I was just about to put hardware cloth on the bottom to secure it. I had my wife test the weight, she said it was fine but had THAT look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I attached the pallets with Sheetrock screws. I had to cut the runners in order to place the screws.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    WOW! Good job. I wish we had pallet's like that around here, but we don't. They are not made as good as your's are.

7. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Quote:Oh but you do, grab a phone book or the internet and look for printers. Those are paper pallets and they are built strong.

Most print shops leave their pallets out so that pallet fairies can take them to be recycled. Just go to the back door and ask them if you can have a few and you will be surprised how much help you will get.

Give me your location and I will see if I can help.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  8. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh wow. I didn't know that. I am in arlington georgia, but I can go to Dothan alabama, or albany georgia to. I am in the middle of the 2 . Thank you for the advice.

9. Trollkiller

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    This place looks promising

Dothan Printing & Litho‎
    955 Tate Dr, Dothan, AL‎ - (334) 792-8408‎

Before you go look on Google and check the towns closest to you, use "commercial printing" in your search criteria. Stay away from quickie print places because they buy cut sheet boxed paper and those come on regular pallets. (the ones with spaces between the slats)

10. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:ok. I have the regular pallets then...(the one's with spaces between the slat's). Thanks for looking for me. I will give them a call today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by