1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by QChickieMama, Oct 2, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Wanted to show you all my chicken tractors! The R one we bought on Craigslist; the L one I built from scrap lumber and some chicken wire. They each hold 6 chickens, but we're housing 5 in each. Seems plenty full. We move them around the yard, giving them new grass at least once per day. They pretty much decimate the grass but I think it'll come back with all the fertilizing going on.

[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Cool, i want one.

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:I think this would better fit 2, MAYBE 3.. not quite 5.

4. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    It is cool but i think 5 is too many for it too

5. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Huh. The seller said 6 and we believed him. Gee. What did we know?

I have realized that moving the tractor every 2 hrs makes them really happy. But, they roost, eat, drink & nest in there just fine.

6. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    I think it is more than adequate for 5 or more as long as it is moved often enough and they arn't pecking on one that is weak.

7. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    They may be all right for now, with you moving them around frequently. My concern would be this winter when there's not so much good grazing to keep them busy. They may turn to pecking eachother out of boredom. If all they are doing right now is sleeping in the box part, it probably works but on cold, wet winter days that's not much room to spend the entire day in. Boredom and overcrowding = bad chicken habits.

ETA: You don't say what part of the country you are in so winter may be non-existent for you [​IMG].

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by