My chicken tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 16, 2012.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    here are the pix of the two tractors we just finished- the bigger one is 12' x 4' x 5' and the smaller one is 4' x 8'.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Very nice!

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Those look great! Very nice!

4. the chickenator

the chickenator New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    How many birds can you comfortably house in the larger one? On a full time basis. I need to build a coop this winter, so I can get chickens this summer(so excited), and am still kind of unsure what the best method of housing for the birds will be in my case. I like the idea of a mobile coop with a small attached run.

5. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    I have 6 birds in the larger one- 4 hens and 2 roos. The hens will go into the upper part while the Roos usually roost on the roosts out in the run or underneath the house part (the whole thing is covered and underneath the henhouse is sided on 3 sides)

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Pretty tractors. I would like to build a few like the largest one for some of my breeding pairs and trios next spring. [​IMG]

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Really nice!

8. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Here are a few of mine....The smaller, single level tractor proved to be to not what I envisioned for our Seramas so it is for sale now. I love the 2 level one and may build a couple more as I have several people interested. I have since added a pipe feeder as well as a cedar door to the front of it to let our birds out to free-range. It now only is functional but we like to have stuff look decent in our yard also as we do entertain out there on our patio. All my tractors are covered with 1/2" hardware cloth due to raccoons in our area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mrwoodboat

Nov 25, 2012
    some one asked how I move them- I don't- we have a door on the ends and open them up during the day- adjacent to the tractors are 2 acres of woods they can forage in. One shake of the scratch can and they all come running home LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by