My chicken tried to kill me!

Justanother Brooke

Songster
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Goldendale, WA
Okay, that probably wasn't her intent, but JEEZ!
We moved the 10 week olds into the big coop this last weekend, and other than a few pecks here and there, things have been fine. The bigger chickens basically ignore them, and the three little ones just kind of keep to themselves. The last 2 nights, all I've had to do is kind of push them towards the pop door, and they have gone right in.
Tonight, apparently, they decided that DH's big storage shed was a much better place to sleep for the night. I went and picked all three up, and took them to the big coop. None of them wanted to go in, so I pushed them in one at a time. Well, Pansy, our Australorp, bolted out right before I shut the door. I shut it so the others didn't come back out, and went to grab her. She decided chicken tag was in order, so I chased her all over the place. Usually, she lets me pick her right up, but not tonight...
So we got right by the little coop that is currently housing the banties, and she stopped. I bent over to grab her, and right as I had her, she freaked and slipped out of my hands. Somehow, I got off balance, and went down like a ton of bricks. I banged my head on the external egg boxes, scraped the crap out of my hands, and banged both my knees up pretty good. Little bleepity bleeping chicken! I finally grabbed her, put her in the coop, and she headed right up to the roost and settled in without barely a peep, grrrrr!
Now my hand stings like hell, and I have a nice lump on my head.

Just realized, this should have probably gone in the "Pictures and Stories" section. Sorry
hide.gif

Glad you both survived it! i've gotten quite a few bumps and bruises playing "chicken tag"!

I hate chicken tag. I discovered that I have an old long handled fishing net and so I don't have to play that game any more. Luckily it's rarely needed.

Naughty girl. I used to fight with them but now I just carry the little white scratch pail, shake it, call 'chook chook chook' and toss a small amount inside the coop. Usually they fight to get in the door!

I did that once trying to catch one that was all bloody. She did not want to be picked up and while running at her, I forgot about the roost bar that was about 4 feet up. I slammed my head into it, fell back on my butt, but was right back up in a second resuming the chase. Thinking back at how it looked, I can't help but laugh. Everyone asked me how I got that gash on my forehead and they looked at me so strangely when I told them that I was trying to catch a chicken.
big_smile.png

Quote:
roll.png

As
If...

My one little Rogue Hen (Black Star - you know who you are Xtra-Crispy!):
1. Sees the scratch bucket
2. Chortles with glee at the thought of getting some yummy oats & BOSS
3. Joins her sisters in a mad rush for the coop...
4. Veers off at the last minute so she can make a fool of me while I chase her all over the yard, playing Ring Around the Coopsie
& FINALLY
5. Scoots into the coop to join everyone else

I swear I hear chicken laughter & I know they are talking about how funny it looks when I run...

Yeah, those little rascals have no concept of care for one's owners. I've bleed plenty for my birds whether they mean it or not. Then 2 minutes later they're my best little buddy wanting treats again?! Who knows with chickens. You just gotta shake it off... she'd already forgotten the little run around game she played on you, and if probably wondering what you did to yourself to get 'mama' so messed up looking. She's probably thinking "goodness, she's clumsy". LOL
D.gif

Quote:
roll.png

As
If...

My one little Rogue Hen (Black Star - you know who you are Xtra-Crispy!):
1. Sees the scratch bucket
2. Chortles with glee at the thought of getting some yummy oats & BOSS
3. Joins her sisters in a mad rush for the coop...
4. Veers off at the last minute so she can make a fool of me while I chase her all over the yard, playing Ring Around the Coopsie
& FINALLY
5. Scoots into the coop to join everyone else

I swear I hear chicken laughter & I know they are talking about how funny it looks when I run...

gig.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom