My chicken walk funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebright raiser, Oct 10, 2013.

1. sebright raiser

sebright raiser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    So the other day I went outside to feed my chicken (i only got two a roo and hen) . An while outside i notice her feathers falling off so i thought she is molting. Then I noticed when she walked she stumbled and then didnt know where to go. Then she got her self together and walked normal and when she changes direction she spend 10 secondes stumboling then goes. Is this normal or is something wrong with her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds sick as well as molting. It could be a lot of things. Mareks disease, botulism, or other things, but we need more information. Molts are very hard on chickens, and some get weaker than others. Giving some extra protein in the diet (and making sure she has at least 16 % protein in her feed.)

3. sebright raiser

sebright raiser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Ok she is very weak and her feathers look like a molt/the roo pulling them off. It took her a full minute to find the food and now she walkes 2in of the ground i think she is going blind aldo should I put her inside my house to help her recover?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She does sound like she is losing her eyesight. Chickens' eyes are affected by high levels of ammonia from droppings in a coop which irritate them. They can have cataracts, and Mareks disease or injuries can cause blindness. I would at least put her in a cage with food and water, maybe wetting her feed a little to make it easier to find and eat. Leave her in the coop and run with the others so she doesn't loose her place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by